Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thuesday, 3-31-09

The Kaktovik School has currently 57 students enrolled, early childhood (3 and 4 year old kids), pre-kindergarten to 12 Grade and employs 8 full time teachers.

Teachers teach multiple subjects and grade levels. The school building is extremely well maintained (Thanks Dave Tetreau and team), beautifully decorated, and provides a welcoming atmosphere. It shows that students, the community, and employees are proud of their school.
The Principal, Mrs. S. Kinkead, is a very supportive and knowledgeable principal and school secretary Ida Angasan is the most helpful person imaginable. Our pre-service teachers from UAF, Jessie and Kristy, are visiting classrooms and supporting the Kaktovik teachers actively. Being part of village school is a great learning experience for our UAF education students and myself.
I taught a middle school math class yesterday and attended the Harold Kavelook School Academic and Athletic Awards Night (photos and slide show).





Seeing the smile on the faces of the Native kids and parents of Kaktovik at the awards night provided a moment of deep thought about my own experience teaching in multicultural settings. I proudly thought of my Hispanic students at Homer Hanna HS in Brownsville, TX, or UT Brownsville, the kids of Paeroa in NZ, or Punte Arenas, Argentina, or my students in Germany.
What a privilege of being able to experiencing different cultures.
Observing our UAF-School of Education pre-service teachers here in Kaktovik, I know they are committed to learn and respect the culture of the Inupiaq people.

2 comments:

  1. You've seen so much and worked in so many different settings in your life, Ute. I think that's really cool. I hope to have the same get-up-and-go mentality throughout my career.

    There's a pool in Kaktovik? I cannot imagine what maintaining a pool up there would cost. What a nifty resource for the students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos Ute! You're right about their school- it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete